Monday, November 7, 2011

KAPTAIN KOOL & THE KONGS 2 different LPs by KROFFT SUPERSHOW Klassics


I guess by now you're probably not surprised to find out that I own these LPs but hey, of course I'm a Sid & Marty Krofft-head and I totally remember Kaptain Kool and his band of Kongs being EVERYWHERE on TV when I was a kid. Did you know that on the first season of the Krofft Supershow (which The Kongs hosted before the Bay City Rollers took over in 1978) the band had a heavier 'glam' sound and also an extra member, Bert Sommer (aka Flatbush), who was already an established hitmaker having been a member of the Left Banke, appeared at Woodstock and in the original Broadway version of "Hair." He even had a few solo albums with some chart success. But for the second season, the network toned the band's image down, Sommer was gone and the band's Epic album was released and full of pop disco. They remained a four piece but before long Kaptain Kool was unanimously voted "not Kool" and they were taken off the TV show.

Kaptain Kool (Michael Lembeck) soon had a beard and guest starred on "One Day At A Time" as Mackenzie's husband. Turkey (Mickey McMeel) was actually in Three Dog Night for a spell as their drummer. Superchick disappeared altogether but Nashville (Louise DuArt) was re-hired by the Kroffts, playing many characters on the Bay City Rollers show.So, Kaptain Kool & The Kongs mean a bit more to me than just being handsomely filed in my LP collection between Judas Priest and Katrina & The Waves. Thanks to thrift stores and record shop bargain bins I own the Kongs two LP discography.

The Epic Records album is SONGS and not as bad as you think. Some are more disco'd out than others but there are a few ballads and Spector/girl group songs (never of that quality though). Bert Sommer co-wrote one song.

The Peter Pan album is STORIES featuring clips from the Krofft Supershow live action shows "Magic Mongo," "Bigfoot And Wildboy" and "Wonderbug" with SHORT comedy skit intros featuring the Kongs themselves.Unfortunately, their were NO record releases of the band's earlier material and Bert Sommer died in 1990.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IJPJ8Y4W

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jim,
    I actually ALSO have one of their records. The one on Epic, only because of the vague Rollers connection of course.
    But didn't Mickey also star on the Rollers show from time to time? As a "comic" relief of some sort. I think I remember a scene where he was thrown by the Rollers into an off-camera swimming pool. Probably something the guys were itching to do to Les as well.
    And Debra Clinger ("Superchick"?). I kinda remember her starring in a Cagney & Lacey-type show in the late '70s/early '80s. Could be wrong, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember these guys...of course I do. I was little but you know me...I also still remeber when you said poopy in your parent's den and then told me in 20 years I'd still remember it...and for the record....it's been over 30 years man..... I found the Kings a little scary in fact. But you gotta remember I was not even old enough to be in school, and to me people in that much makeup meant horror films. I pretty much watched anything Kroft bros did though

    ReplyDelete