Monday, March 7, 2011

Good Evening and Welcome To SCHLAGERS!

Featuring artwork by the same guy who did "Ben Hur" here's SCHLAGERS! a Warner Brothers 2 LP sampler released as part of the "Loss Leaders" series in 1970. This double vinyl compilation is aimed more at an "adult" audience featuring tracks by Petula Clark, Ella Fitzgerald, Rod McKuen, The Association and Kenny Rogers but there's plenty of excitement including a cool FRANK SINATRA rarity called "Sabia" (never on any of his Reprise LPs) and funky gems from Herbie Hancock, The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band and The Mike Post Coalition.

Straight 'A' squares will dig Joni, Lightfoot, Vince "Peanuts" Guaraldi and Dion (who at this stage thinks he's a blues man). Curiously, The Everlys have a repeat track also heard on the previous WB sampler "The Big Ball."

Overall it's a good listen and a friendly reminder that Peter, Paul & Mary were great artists and The Vogues were terrible sweater pop (but that sounds like Hal Blaine on drums). Harpers Bizarre continue to intrigue me the deeper I get into their catalog. The mind boggles at how the lead singer of one of the sunniest and quietest groups ever (heard here singing the praises of "Soft Soundin' Music") ended up producing all the good Van Halen albums!

DISC ONE
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RUYCVADR
DISC TWO
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XUVGCCE0

5 comments:

  1. ahhh Templeton...this totally reminds me...I went off searching for his Templeton Twins project many months back, I found it, and completely forgot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way... I finally got to listening to Templeton Twins. I appreciate what he was doing, and it was a neat idea, but I'm not feeling it. It's not quite novelty, and not quite parody. I hate when a music act is more about humor than it is music, and this doesn't really fall into that category. I dunno what it is about it, all I can say is that I respect what he was going for, but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I had anticipated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. any chance you could reup the links to these? Please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually all of them in this post please?

      Delete