Tuesday, October 19, 2010

NAT KING COLE Sings My Fair Lady

If you were to gather up every Nat King Cole LP in at least VG+ condition from thrift store visits for one year, you would no doubt have a decent collection of his music on LP. There were so many LPs released in his lifetime and TONS more greatest hits and compilation packages that came out after his death.

I'm a huge fan of Nat King Cole's VOICE and that what it's really all about. A madman on the piano keys, Nat started his career playing jazz instrumentals until it was discovered how great his singing voice was. I'm always trying to listen to different Nat LPs, however there are a few that I keep revisiting including this one, "My Fair Lady," from 1963. I have no previous knowledge of Lerner & Loewe's musical, but there is something about these songs with Nat's voice and the way he approaches them that I find irresistible.

"The Rain In Spain," "I Could Have Danced All Night," and "Get Me To The Church On Time" are rich in melody and are fun to sing along with and of course "I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face" is a classic tune. But there's also "Hymn To Him," "With A Little Bit Of Luck," "Wouldn't It Be Loverly," and "I'm An Ordinary Man" which showcase that rich baritone and also require Nat to "act" a little bit to get across the humor in the lyrics. "Show Me" is a beautiful ballad with it's melody eased over by the great NKC. Recorded in just four days at Capitol studios in Hollywood, this album is a gem and you should dig it NOW.


1 comment: