Saturday, March 27, 2010

My First SPARKS Concert

On July 14, 1983, SPARKS opened for Rick Springfield at the Philadelphia Spectrum. They were already my favorite band and I forced my parents to buy me a ticket and drop me off at the concert. As a young nerd, I made sure to bring paper and pen to write down the set list and after Sparks 40 minute set blew my mind, I actually had the nerve to ask the sound man if he could get their autographs for me. He either felt sorry for me or admired my Mad Magazine Don Martin stationery but within a few minutes he was handing back the paper with all the members' signatures (Ron, Russell, David Kendrick, Bob Haag, Leslie Bohem and Jim Goodwin). So CHEERS to that dude, whoever you were, you made my night. And there's even some "Jim" jokes on there.

(By the way, the set list was I WISH I LOOKED A LITTLE BETTER, ANGST IN MY PANTS, ALL YOU EVER THINK ABOUT IS SEX, MICKEY MOUSE, ROCKIN' GIRLS, I PREDICT, UPSTAIRS & COOL PLACES...Nice!!)

2 comments:

  1. Holy crap Man... I completely remember this... it hung on the wall in your room for years...green painted walls...painted walls...painted green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps: Haaaaa you saw Rick Springfield live!

    ReplyDelete